Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Hunger Games




Well as many of you know, if any of you are reading this, there is a huge hype going on about the film adaption of "The Hunger Games," which is deserved since they are awesome books (Speaking of which, Tiffany still has my copy. Hmm...). I've been doing my research for months now, keeping up with the latest news on the movie via Google and I've decided to actually do something about it. There's been an address listed online, credited to be that of the casting director, Debra Zane. Today I looked at the address on Google maps and discovered the address is real, as well as listed as one of the businesses. So since this sounds pretty legitimate, I'm going to do it. I'm going to send my resume in.

I know it probably doesn't sound like a big deal but for some reason it really is. The protagonist, Katniss, is someone I admire but, even more importantly, I understand. I can relate because let's face it, sometimes I am a monster. I am cold, calculating, mean, moody, bossy, fierce, manipulating, and rebellious. But I also do have a desire to be liked. I'm self-conscience, I don't want to hurt people, and can have a great capacity for love and loyalty where others do not. We're both paradoxical and don't always know how to deal with it, express ourselves, or balance these insane emotions out.

And I think it's because I so strongly correlate with her and desire to succeed in acting that it's a big deal. For some reason, I keep trying to talk myself out of it and convince myself it's pointless so why bother wasting the money on the postage. That this is a ridiculous notion. But why should it be? It's not ridiculous.

Why should it be ridiculous? Emma Watson started out in school plays and then landed Hermione and is now one of the richest young actresses in the world. Matthew McCaughey was a nobody till he was cast in Dazed and Confused. Why is it so absurd that I could be as successful as they are and potentially be cast in this movie? I'm a good actress, I can sing, I'm athletic, I have the motivation and desire, I've done a little archery before. I shot a couple holes through my fence even. (Sorry Dad, I still haven't told you about those). My biggest self-imposed obstacle is my blonde hair, which isn't even that light and I'd be more than willing to dye it for the chance to play Katniss.

Probably nothing will come of it. But I know I'll just kick myself in the pants forever if I don't at least try.



So yesterday, I updated my resume. I took probably thirty pictures of myself with my dinky camera trying to get one that was clean and captured myself. I printed it out. And even though it's far from perfect, it's the best I can do right now. And I've just gotta try.

Bailey Sue

SONG: Weapon by Matthew Good Band (It's the first one on the playlist so go listen)
MOOD: Determined

3 comments:

  1. Bailey, I find this amazing! Seriously. You are so talented, and I am glad that despite all the doubting, you still sent it in. Best of luck on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Quincy! Way to get out there, and go for it! Hope things are going well for you at BYUH. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement! It really means a lot, especially when it is likely that nothing is going to happen from this but it's kind of like the first step I'm taking to really enter the professional world.
    Haha and yes things are going quite well Ashley. Heard Blithe Spirit was great! Didn't you play the crazy medium haha?!

    ReplyDelete